|27/01/2010 16:00||to||15/02/2010 16:59|
Field of Expertise: TRANSLATORS, INTERPRETERS, CONFERENCE SERVICES
Duty Station: OSCE Secretariat – Vienna
Date of Entry on Duty: unknown
Background: The Department of Management and Finance is the largest department in the OSCE Secretariat and is responsible for managing the material and financial resources of the Organization. Conference Services, as part of this Department, provides professional support to the Chairmanship of the decisionmaking bodies of the OSCE and the respective delegations on matters dealing with the organization of meetings, including interpretation and translation, documents control, editing and word processing services. Language Services Section plans and co-ordinates the delivery of these services in the six official OSCE languages and comprises twenty staff as well as interpreters/ translators hired on a rotational short-term basis.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor, Text Control and Processing Unit, the incumbent will assist the work of
the Spanish translators. He/she will perform the following duties:
– Typing conference documents, including statements, decisions and journals of meetings, notes verbale and the OSCE
Annual Report; this will include complex tables and mathematical formulae and graphs;
– Formating official conference documents;
– Preparing advance drafts and making corrections until the final version of the text is accepted;
– Taking dictation (directly from a translator or from a tape), proof-reading and checking work;
– Typing or re-typing and/or converting documents into machine-readable form for inclusion in the OSCE electronic
– Maintaining and updating computer files and hard copy of all documents typed;
– Performing reference searches using ISYS full-text retrieval system;
– Performing other duties as assigned.
– Completed secondary education and a minimum of three years of clerical and typing experience; secretarial training would be desirable;
– Previous experience in a text-processing unit or conference/language services would be an asset;
– Excellent knowledge of Spanish and English (oral and written); knowledge of other OSCE working languages would be an asset;
– Knowledge of computer applications (word processing, graphics, database and spreadsheets);
– Ability to work under time pressure and occasionally to work overtime, including weekends;
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people from different national and cultural
background whilst remaining impartial and objective.